Consumer Ratings & Reports Best Water Heaters 2023
Hot water is something that we all need, right? Without hot water, you won’t be able to perform many day-to-day tasks. Good thing is that you don’t have to put in efforts to get hot water, as there are water heaters available on the market. Water heaters are excellent products for getting hot water within minutes and that too in large volumes. However, all water heaters aren’t designed and operated in the same way.
Some water heaters work on electric power, while others operate on liquid propane, and then, you will find water heaters that run on natural gas. If you go to the market to purchase a water heater, then you will definitely get bamboozled seeing the copious amount of variety that is available. If you want to keep things simple, then you should better take a look at reviews and consumer reports best water heaters.
Reviews Of 10 Best Water Heaters
1. Bosch Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater Tronic 3000 T
Bosch is a German-based company, which is known for manufacturing cutting-edge home appliances. Bosch is also into water heater business and has been developing some of the most advanced and reliable units for past many years. The one I’m discussing is a feather in the cap of Bosch’s amazing line of water heaters.
Bosch Tronic 3000T is among the top point of use water heaters. Sporting a compact design, this water heater can be mounted under the kitchen sink, on the floor, or you can hang it on the wall. You can install it at the sink to get a continuous flow of hot water from your kitchen faucet.
The unit features a glass-lined mini tank, which holds up to 4 gallons of water. The next batch of 4-gallon water will be provided after an hour, as that much time is taken by the heater to recover. Overall, an efficient machine that is suitable for those with less requirement of hot water.
2. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
Check out this electric tankless water heater, which promises to provide hot water for your entire home. Such a claim is backed up by its electricity consumption, as the unit runs on 240 volts and requires 27kw to operate. The unit has a flow rate of 6 GPM in areas that are warm, whereas the flow rate reduces to 3 GPM in cold areas or cold weather conditions.
The water heater supports two showers at a time, which shows how efficient the unit is. The water heater is equipped with ‘Self-modulating Technology’, which shuts off the unit when it is not in use, thus saving many electric units and eventually, your money. This unit is 99.8% energy efficient, which makes light on your pocket and environmental friendly at the same time.
It also features a ‘Digital Control System’, which allows you to check the water temperature and error codes in order to take the necessary action conveniently. Despite being a powerful performer, the unit doesn’t consume much space in the room where you decide to keep it. The company claims that the water heater will work for 20 years, which is 8 more years than normal water heaters. Moreover, the tanker of this heater won’t corrode, since the water won’t be stored in it.
3. Rheem 240V Heating Chamber RTEX-13 Residential Tankless Water Heater - Best Rheem Water Heater Reviews Consumer Reports
Rheem is a renowned company, whose products you will easily find on the market. The company makes excellent water heaters as well, which have a high-energy efficiency rate of 99.8%. The water heater is capable of supplying hot water to multiple sinks simultaneously. Moreover, the unit is quite easy to install, plus you can install it in any room regardless of how small it is.
The construction of this water heater involves the use of copper and brass, and these metals add to the durability of the unit. The company offers a 5-year warranty on the product, but trust me; it is going to run for a much longer period. You can take a soothing bath under the rain shower head without worrying about water getting cold because that’s not going to happen with Rheem water heater installed in the house.
4. Rinnai V Series HE Tankless Hot Water Heater
The next product on the list is Rinnai V Series Tankless Water Heater, which runs on propane. This model is one of the best tankless water heater available on the market. There is another model, similar to this one, which runs on natural gas, so you can choose the model depending upon the type of fuel. The propane-powered water heater means, it will be low on NOx emissions. Moreover, the water heater has a flow rate of 6.6 GPM with the energy output being 150,000 BTU.
You will have to mount this V series model indoors in order to get a more reliable water supply. You can install multiple units at a low cost to get a continuous supply of hot water throughout your house. This model along with many other V-Series models are non-condensing and have no energy star rating.
5. New RV Atwood 6 Gallon Gas/Electric GC6AA-10E Water Heater
If you are specifically looking for a water heater for RV, then you have come to the right place, as this is the bestselling RV water heater in the world right now. There are many features in this product, but the fact that it is able to operate on liquid propane, as well as electricity, makes it really a unique product.
The gas burner offers 8,800 BTUs of heating, which is ideal for a couple of people camping in the woods in the RV. The recovery rate of the unit is around 11.6 Gallon per hour on liquid propane, which means that if you’ve used all 6 gallons of water, then it will take half an hour to get 6 gallons of hot water again.
The electric heater has the power of 1,400 watts, which is also on the lower side when compared to other electric water heaters. The recovery rate of the unit when running on electric power is 6.2 gallons per hour, so it will take an hour to reheat the whole tank that is filled with water.
You can also use this unit as a combo water heater, means both electric heating and LP gas simultaneously. With that, the recovery rate will be around 17.8 gallons per hour and the reheating of the tank will take place in 20 minutes. If you own an RV, then you must consider getting this water heater.
6. Stiebel Eltron 24 Plus Tempra Tankless Water Heater
This is a whole house tankless water heater, which can also be used for commercial applications. The unit heats up enough water to make two persons take shower in different bathrooms at a time. There are more powerful models available as well, but the one we are discussing is 24 Plus, which I believe is good for most Americans.
This particular model needs two separate dedicated 50-ampere breakers along with 150-ampere electrical service. The water heater can supply the water at a temperature between 86 degrees to 140 degrees Fahrenheit or at the temperature that you set on the unit. If you are not comfortable with the Fahrenheit scale, then you can change it to Celsius as well.
The system operates quietly and you won’t have any issues figuring out what’s where on the unit, thanks to its large backlit display. Other features of the unit include flow control for accurate temperature delivery, self-modulation technology for saving power, monitor that shows cost savings and excellent customer support. The company offers 7-year warranty against leaking and 3-year warranty against failure.
7. Excel Tankless LPG Gas Water Heater (Low-Pressure Startup) 1.6 GPM Ventfree
If you are looking for a water heater for your small apartment, mobile homes, RV’s, sailboats, flats, and other small accommodations, then you can invest in tankless LP water heater, which has the minimum of 2 PSI and maximum of 120 PSI. This is a highly efficient unit and the reason why I’m saying that is because you can enjoy hot water immediately as you open the tap. At a time, 50 degrees cold water can flow when the flow is good, and 40 degrees when the flow rate is reduced. The start-up unit comes with a water flow magnetic sensor, which regulates the flow of water when the pressure is low.
8. Camplux ME40 Mini Tank Electric Water Heater
This may not be a water heater, which you can use on a daily basis, but it is certainly effective in situations where you need hot water quickly. The unit has a tank capacity of 4 gallons, which is stored in the glass-lined water tank. You can install this heater on the floor, shelf or hang it on the wall.
It also features thermostat control, which allows you to adjust the water temperature and set it to your preference. You can set the temperature from 50 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, without worrying about the unit getting overheated because it comes with overheating protection.
You can easily identify if the temperature is reaching its maximum value, thanks to the red indicator given under the dial, which lights up when that happens. If something goes wrong with the unit, you can get it checked from the company, as the product comes with a 1-year warranty.
9. Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas
When the demand for hot water in your house remains high throughout the year, then you need a superior and reliable water heater, something like Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas Water Heater. The unit has a maximum GPM of 9.8, which is ideal for a family of four, even when they decide to use the hot water at once.
You just need to set the right temperature settings and the unit will work as per your requirements. However, the pressure will reduce a bit when you open multiple fixtures at a time because the unit works on keeping the water temperature consistent.
Despite being a non-condensing unit, the water heater is able to churn out a brilliant 96% efficiency rating, with that other 4% loss to the atmosphere rather than the water that is being heated up. With this water heater installed in your house, you can save up to 30% on your gas bill compared to tank units. The inclusion of electric ignition system will ensure that not even the tiniest of gas is wasted in the water heating process.
Even the installation of this water heater is easy, as it comes with isolation valves, which helps in flushing the heater to prevent any lime build-up from hard water. Then, there are two PVC pipes or stainless steel concentric venting kit for venting, with the former one being the cheaper option. The lower end of the water pressure of this water heater stands at 50 PSI whereas the upper limit goes up to 150 PSI, which allows it to be used in multiple ways. As far as warranty is concerned, then the company offers 12 years of warranty on this product, which covers most defects that arise in it.
10. Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater
Takagi is known for manufacturing high-quality tankless gas water heaters, and this one further consolidates that fact. The flow rate of this unit is around 10 gallon per minute, which is the highest among all other products that are present on the list. This isn’t just a water heater, but a radiant floor system and hydronic heating system. The energy output of the water heater is 199,000 BTUs, which show how powerful the unit is.
The high capacity of this unit allows you to use hot water in multiple fixtures at a time, even if you are living in a cold area. The water heater is equipped with ultra-low NOx condensing technology, which complies with the government regulations. Coming to the warranty, then you will get a 15-year limited warranty on the heat exchanger and 5-year warranty on parts.
What Are The Advantages Of A Water Heater?
Water heaters offer many advantages in several aspects, including:
- On-demand hot water: Water heaters offer a continuous supply of hot water, meaning that you never have to wait for hot water or run out of it while taking a shower or doing laundry.
- Energy efficiency: Many water heaters are highly energy-efficient, with newer models offering energy-saving features like digital temperature control, programmable settings, and tankless systems.
- Cost-effective: While the initial cost of a water heater can be high, they often provide a cost-effective solution to keeping hot water running throughout the house.
- Flexibility: Several types of water heaters are available, including gas, electric, tank, and tankless options. This flexibility means you can choose the system that best fits your needs and your home's design.
- Reduced risk of flooding: Modern water heaters are typically equipped with safety features such as pressure relief valves and automatic shut-off valves, reducing the risk of flooding or other water damage.
- Increased Property Value: Having a water heater installed throughout a building or a property can increase its overall value.
Overall, water heaters offer a reliable and convenient solution to providing hot water throughout the home or business, and with modern technology, they are becoming increasingly more efficient and eco-friendly.
Parameters To Consider Before Buying A Water Heater
- Size: The size of the water heater should be based on the number of people in your household and their hot water usage. A smaller family may require a smaller size tank, while a larger family will require a bigger one.
- Type of water heater: There are several types of water heaters available in the market, including tankless, tank, gas, or electric. Choose a type based on your hot water needs, budget, and energy efficiency requirements.
- Energy Efficiency: Look for an energy-efficient water heater that can save on energy costs and produce less hot water. Check for Energy Star certified models.
- Fuel Source: Choose a heater that matches the fuel source available at home (electric, natural gas, propane, or fuel oil).
- Cost: Compare prices of the different models based on their size, fuel source, type, and features, keeping in mind your budget requirements.
- Installation and Maintenance: Look for a heater that is easy to install, requires no or minimal maintenance, and comes with a warranty.
- Safety: Consider the safety features of the water heater, including pressure relief valves, automatic shut-off valves, and other safety measures to reduce the risk of accidents.
- Brand Reputation: Consider the reputation of the brand and read customer reviews to get an idea of the quality of the product and its features.
Overall, choosing the right water heater for your home requires careful consideration of the factors mentioned above, and it's essential to do your research to make an informed decision.
Hot water is a basic necessity in every home because people want hot water while taking showers, washing specific clothes or any other task. While there are multiple ways of getting hot water, but the most common method that people opt for is, getting a water heater because it allows them to get hot water right through the faucets and showerheads, which is what people like and want to have. As you have gone through the reviews and consumer reports best water heaters, I hope you have decided the product you want to buy. Therefore, this is the best time to purchase a water heater because of the low prices and a number of discounts/offers.
Last Updated on April 27, 2023